Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Family Pinning

The boys and I went through many adventures in their early years, but none so exhausting as nursing school.  I started school when Matt was 6 months old.  I was actually signed up to begin National University for an Accounting Degree after Matt's birth.  I had these incredibly caring nurses when I delivered Matt; it changed the course of our lives forever.  I came out of the hospital with a new career goal.  I was taking courses at Grossmont College six months later. 

Matt was 6 months old when I started and 4 1/2 years when I completed.  We were on AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependant Children) for a total of five years.  It was one of the best days of my life when I got my first nursing paycheck and I could walk into Social Services and say that we didn't need help anymore.  I did work during that time but as a Work Study at Grossmont College.  I was blessed to have the job - the office that I worked for always worked with my crazy nursing student schedule and they built my confidence with their continual encouragement.

I was a 4.0 during all of my prerequisites (Chemistry, A&P, Microbiology, etc...) and dropped to a firm B when I actually hit my nursing classes.  At that point, I didn't care.  I just wanted to pass!  The boys were always a source of motivation.  We needed to have something to survive on and I was not going to stay on State Aid any longer than absolutely necessary.  It plays a bit with your head.



This was one of our happiest days.  When you graduate nursing school, there is also a nursing pinning ceremony.  This is all three boys pinning my pin on me.  I think I came away a bit scarred on my chest but proud none the same!  After four years of endless studying, clinical rotations, and sleep deprivation, we were done.  There are many stories to tell about things that happened during this time and afterward, but after looking at this picture, I remembered how much we were in this together.  The boys supplied my need to do well; I don't think I could have done it without them. 

Much more to tell about the four years that I as in school but I couldn't wait to show this picture.  It will always be one of my favorites.  It wasn't just my celebration that day.  It was one for all four of us...we were on our way to better days, although when looking back, what we had was pretty good even then!

No comments:

Post a Comment