Monday, September 6, 2010

Little Cowboys

As I looked through my magic box of pictures today, I was first of all remiss that it has been over a month since I have written.  It does not seem like its been since July....where in the heck did August go?   I started up a new term in school again a few weeks ago, and I am once again buried in Nursing Research studies.  This is a welcome break!

I found three pictures that brought me back to a somewhat simpler time.  It was not unusual years ago to find a lone cowboy, seemingly out of place on a city street, walking his Shetland Pony.  He would find young mothers, like myself, and we would pay a nominal fee to have our kids photographed with the pony.  The kids loved it and I'll bet you can find similar pictures in boxes everywhere in the United States.  I wish I could find the dates of the pictures - Matt looks about 3 so I'm assuming it was around 1995. 

I have other pictures of the kids on the horse, but not a full set.  Matt's is somehow missing.  I have no memories of him not getting on the horse but at my age, I've discovered that I have blocked out all that is traumatic.  These ages were so much fun.  The boys were in constant motion - it's amazing that they stood still long enough to get the pictures.  I'm sure that the horse must have been medicated.  Looking at the pictures, he does look extremely subdued. 

Another picture that brought a smile to my face is one of the four of us.  I know we weren't smiling all the time.  I know there were tears.  I know there were times that we drove each other crazy.  I even remember the horrible day that we collectively killed the guinea pig - another story for another time.  Overall, however....this is what I remember most.  Three amazing boys that made my life have some very special meaning.....It doesn't get much better than that. 


Love to you all.....

2 comments:

  1. I have pictures of Kelley, Sean and Scott sitting on those ponies too! Those are some of my favorite pics. :)

    ReplyDelete