Sunday, July 31, 2011

Time Marches On

Time continues to move on...my boys are all over the age of 18 now.  As a matter of fact, this month I will be the proud parent of 19, 21 and 23 year old "boys".   I can't quite get to the point of calling them men, even though that's what they are.  I'm faced with memories of their childhood every time I get in the car, walk in the mall or just look around the house.  My sister and I went to the movies at Parkway on Friday and as I followed her into a store, I saw PacSun...home of endless visits for skateboard shoes and shirts.  We also spent hours at Avalanche and Tilly's looking for backpacks and boards.  This does not even touch on the time spent at skate parks, or just regular parks.  What I remember most about raising boys?  Only keep them in the house when they are ready to sleep...any other activities are best done outdoors. 

We took Dexter to the dog park at Mast and I could almost see the boys riding bikes and skateboards around the park.  I was filled with memories of birthday parties and park church services.  Driving down Mast takes me to dropping Tommy and Matt off at Santana or in earlier years, dropping Chris off at West Hills.  I'm also faced with the horrible thoughts that I had of wanting to "just tap" some of the teenagers walking in front of my car.  Thank God for inhibition....if I didn't have it...I'd be in jail!

When I drive west, I remember the summers of going to the beach every day when I was teaching at night.  We had a eight seat van - it would be filled with boogie boards, coolers, towels and of course....all the neighborhood kids.  I'm not sure if we ever went anywhere with just three boys...it was usually five or six at least.  It was a huge transition for Matt when we gave up the van for a Honda Civic.  I still remember showing up to pick him up from the beach and he had five friends waiting with him...five friends the size of five men to be fit into the Honda.  Did we make it home?  I'm not telling since I have a feeling that some legal issues could unfold!

What I remember most?  I loved it.  I was faced with hearing of a young family loosing a three month old baby recently.  Ever since then, the memories have increased.  I can't go anywhere without thinking of the time we've spent together.  I need to get my scanner fixed so I can start posting pictures again.  Most of my pictures, however, are in my head.  I have heard of women getting depressed when their children leave the nest.  I don't feel depressed....possibly due to the fact that no one can actually move out in San Diego before their 35....but also because I truly just feel grateful that I had the time with them.  I wish I could have made it last longer but right now...I'm so happy for the time that I did have. 

To my boys...you make me smile daily.  Thank you for being who you are.  I love you very much.

1 comment: