Saturday, June 26, 2010

Where is Mattie?

In line with Matt's graduation, I began remembering his first school experience.  I was attending Grossmont College for the RN program.  They had a wonderful day care on the campus - one I took advantage of for all three kids for a time.  Each one went through their pre-school before entering Kindergarten.  I loved being able to see the boys when I had a break from classes. 

One day, I was walking in the Quad and saw Matt's teacher.  I was excited to be able to see my baby boy for a few minutes on the way to class.  I walked up the to class and started scanning the kids for my little guy.  Hmmmm....where is he?  After a few minutes, I approached the teacher.
"I can't seem to find Matt....am I just missing him?"
She started scanning the group herself, and then stated out loud, "Where is Matt?" 
Now there's nothing to strike fear in your heart as a parent than the care provider asking you where your kid is. 
"ummmmm.....I don't know....I left him with you....", I pointed out.
She began to take on the frantic look that I am well aware of as a parent.  This was not helping me, I must add.

We started walking back to the class to figure out...what, I wasn't sure.  I just wanted by kid.  When we walked in the door, it was apparent what had happened. 

Matt was asleep in the corner....by himself....in a big room.  The teacher looked incredibley embarrassed...rightfully so.  I asked the simple question...."hmmmm...do you count heads or anything before you leave?"

I can guarantee you that they did after that day.  I did leave him there...it seemed that he would get closer attention for the remainder of his time there.  If nothing else, I knew at least he would be the first one that they would count!



No comments:

Post a Comment